Fighting For Compensation In Medical Malpractice Cases
There is nothing more important than our health, which is why we place so much faith and trust in medical professionals. In most cases, the trust and faith are earned. But when hospitals, doctors, nurses or other health care professionals act negligently, the results can be physically and emotionally devastating.
James J. Thompson has been advocating for California victims of medical malpractice for nearly 45 years. Our firm understands just how difficult these cases are for individuals and families as well as how complex they can be from a legal standpoint. Thankfully, we have the skills, experience and resources to help you pursue compensation after you have been harmed by error or negligence.
Representing Victims Of All Types Of Medical Negligence
We can help you with nearly any type of medical malpractice claim, including:
- Misdiagnosis or failure to diagnose
- Medication errors or prescription errors
- Failure to monitor patients in critical condition
- Emergency room errors
- Wrongful death (errors leading to fatality)
- Medical mistakes involving patients in long-term care facilities
There are many things that can go wrong when it comes to surgery — both emergency and elective procedures. A partial list of surgical errors includes:
- Operating on the wrong body part (wrong-site surgery)
- Leaving a foreign object in the body (surgical tools or sponges, for example)
- Failure to properly monitor patients during surgery
- Anesthesia errors
- Negligence leading to post-surgical infections
- Cerebral palsy and other birth injuries associated with cesarean sections
Identifying And Proving Medical Malpractice
A bad medical outcome alone is not necessarily related to malpractice. Sometimes outcomes are poor despite excellent care. For malpractice to have occurred, two conditions must be met:
- The health care professional violated a medical standard of care.
- You were harmed as a result of the breached standard of care.
The standard of care is the type of treatment similar health care professionals would likely provide under the same circumstances. Establishing this standard in court often requires consultation with expert witnesses and other health care providers.
When attorney James J. Thompson consults with medical professionals in litigation, he typically relies on experts located in Sacramento or other areas well outside of Butte County. We strictly avoid conflicts of interest that could occur with local medical professionals.
Do You Have A Case? Find Out In A Free Initial Consultation.
The law office of James J. Thompson is based in Chico, California, and serves clients in surrounding areas. Our firm is pleased to offer free initial consultations to prospective clients. To discuss your legal options with an experienced lawyer, call us at 530-342-0886 or send us an email.